In September 2014 as a college freshman, I started as an intern at WTBU, Boston University’s student-run radio station. I learned how to work the equipment and the board, curate playlists and conduct interviews. After that, I proceeded to have my own show — two over the years, and eventually joined the executive board as the station’s Promotions Director for a year.
I also put together the station’s history page. I conducted and edited interviews with notable WTBU alumni from over the decades, who told their stories about the station to create an accurate and colorful collection of WTBU history.
Shrug Emoji (Sept. 2015 to May 2018)
- DJ on Shrug Emoji from 10 pm to 12 am every Sunday. We discuss internet culture, television, social media, and trends. We play electronic, pop and alternative music from curated playlists that we make every week.
- I run all of our show’s social media — mainly Twitter.
- Recorded episodes can be found on our mixcloud and in WTBU’s official archives.
Promotions Director (Dec. 2015 to Dec. 2016)
- Pitched and edited all content for the WTBU blog and official website. This included interviews, previews, reviews and playlists.
- Ran a student-run promotions team of about sixty students.
- Coordinated on-air interviews with artists — local and outside Boston.
- Organized and held concerts and events.
Weast Coast (Jan. 2015 to May 2015)
- DJ on Weast Coast from 8 am to 10 am every Sunday. We played music from our respective parts of the country and discussed new up and coming artists. Our genres ranged from pop punk to house music.
- Ran all of our social media including Twitter and Facebook.
- Recorded episodes can be found on our mixcloud.